Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Unknown Tea...

Well I few weeks ago I went into a spice and tea shop to expand my experience of tea. I have been really interested in learning about Korean Traditional Medicine and herbal remedies.

So I come out with two things, I have no idea what they are. But I do know that I asked the owner what would be some good drinking teas and she pointed to two or three things. Some of which were very expensive..So I started asking about some of the other things that I saw in baskets around the teas she suggested. Well, I just recenly found out that one of the supposed teas I bought is called "Star Anise"





Star Anise is used for primarily seasoning beef. It is also one of the five core spices in both Indian and Chinese cuisine. 

The scary part is that it has a sister that is toxic if drank or consumed....

Well, it looks like we got lucky.....

1 comment:

Heather said...

What he didn't tell you is that we had been drinking this tea for weeks. It tasted horrible. It tastes like black licorice... It tasted horrible because we were drinking a spice. Not a tea! And we put a lot in the tea strainer when we made tea! Ha! No more for me! :)


Korean Fact #11: Old ladies in Korea, are called, "ajumas," and usually have feisty personalities.